Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday May 9 2011

Today was an eventful day. It started bad but ended much better. Got to hospital. Went to Mom's room. Nurses rolling her over with shoulder unattended. I proceeded to freak. I asked if they knew she had broken collar bone.  They said no. I then asked if they knew she had start of bed sore as they were laying her on her back.  They again said no. With that, the case manager walks in to see if I have visited a nursing home yet for rehabilitation because they need to get approval from insurance company which may take a long time.  I asked what constituted a long time.  --  24 hours.  Oh my God.  I proceeded to have a meltdown.  Oh, forgot to say that when I got to hospital, Mom had 101 degree fever.  So charge nurse came in.  He spoke to me for about 1/2 hour. Told him what I thought.  He agreed.  (yeah right).  Let him know that there was a complete breakdown in communication which was just not acceptable.  Told him about case manager. Told him they were ready to discharge Mom with a fever.

OK, by that point, Dr. came in.  Spoke to him about Mom's future. It was agreed that they would do cat scan on pelvis, stomach and chest to see if there were any metastasized tissue -- which might indicate whether tumors in brain are cancerous or not.  NO MRI.  Too much for Mom to go through.

OK, after the drama ended about noon, we sat Mom in a chair which perked her up right away.  She sat for about 1/2 hour when physical therapist came in.  Well, here we go.  Not only did Mom stand up on her own weight, but she walked about 30 feet with help only for balance, not for strength.  The hospital was so shocked, they applauded when she made it to the nurses station. 

I rewarded her with french fries and ice cream from Mc Donalds.  That of course was her incentive. She got in a wheel chair back to her bed. She was so tired she actually snored and slept for about 3 1/2 hours.  She woke up about 5:30 with such a smile on her face.  Bright eyed and bushy tailed.  She is all smiles and I left her about 6:30 while she was eating her dinner.  She told me it was ok to leave becuase DiDi was feeding her.  DiDi is a nurse.

God is good.  Le'ts see what tomorrow brings. 

1 comment:

  1. Love her strength even though she is so weak. xoxoxox